Photographer Mitchel Wu must have the best job in the world. His clients include: Marvel, The Walt Disney Company, Hasbro, Mattel, Warner Bros and more. He photographs toys. But with a difference! His unique approach in toy photography is full of humour and quirkiness. Discover how Mitchel got started, what attracted him to toy photography, the importance of playfulness, his process, where he finds inspiration, shooting “in-camera” vs composites, his advice to newbies and so much more.
Gina and Valerie hope you enjoy the podcast.
Sign up to the newsletter for great tips and free Lightroom presets.
Join the dynamic Gold Membership in our Community which delivers monthly tutorials, live mastermind and lots of behind the scenes videos into the creative process.
Based in Los Angeles, I create and craft stories through toy photography – capturing the illusion of motion and emotion where none exists. I am committed to providing an unparalleled experience for my clients while creating images that build brand awareness in a fun, engaging manner.
- Clients: Marvel Entertainment / The Walt Disney Company / Disney Plus / Funimation-Sony Pictures / Hasbro / Mattel / Schleich USA / Jazwares / Warner Bros Entertainment / The Toy Association / IDEO / Moose Toys / Kinder Surprise / Virgin Media / IAmElemental Toys
- Properties: Toy Story 4 / My Hero Academia / Harry Potter/ Hot Wheels / Fortnite / Power Rangers / Ghostbusters / Scrabble / UNO / Shopkins / Peppa Pig / Barbie / Monster High / Ever After High
- Featured By: The Walt Disney Co / Pixar / The LEGO Group / Wix.com / Manfrotto / Wacom
- How Mitchel got started
- What attracted him to toy photoggraphy
- The importance of a sense of playfulness, imagination and wonder
- Where this has led him
- Where he finds inspiration
- Shooting “in-camera” vs composites
- Working solo vs working with assistants
- Lighting and gear tips
- Advice to newbies