Who wouldn’t want to photograph rock stars, Presidents, A-list celebs and sporting legends? That’s exactly what David Bergman does. Not only has he photographed Obama, he’s also the official photographer for Bon Jovi (a fact that Val is still trying to process).
In this episode, Gina and Valerie introduce you to David and chat about how he got into photography, his creative style and how he gets all the cool gigs
Gina and Valerie love bringing this podcast to you.
Hope you enjoy the podcast.
Sign up to the newsletter for great tips and free Lightroom presets.
Join the dynamic Gold Membership in our Community which delivers monthly tutorials, live mastermind and lots of behind the scenes videos into the creative process.
Music and sports photographer. Canon Explorer of Light, Bon Jovi tour photographer, 13 Sports Illustrated covers, and the Obama inauguration.
- Named a Canon Explorer of Light in 2015 – one of the highest honors achievable by a professional photographer. EoL’s are “the most influential photographers and cinematographers in the world, each a master of their creative specialty.”
- Bon Jovi tour photographer since 2010. Covered over 200 shows in 30 countries on six continents. Traveled with the band and documented everything on stage and behind-the-scenes. Produced two coffee table books including 208-page photo book WORK – now shipping worldwide.
- High resolution GigaPan image of President Obama’s first inaugural speech was viewed by over 30 million people, and a 20,000 megapixel image produced for Canon at a Yankees game was printed 130 feet wide by 20 feet high. Produced similar images for commercial clients including Tishman Speyer / Rockefeller Center, Sports Illustrated, and MLB.com.
- 13 Sports Illustrated covers, including New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees raising his son over his head after winning Super Bowl XLIV.
- Host and co-producer of “Two Minute Tips with David Bergman,” a weekly web photo series for AdoramaTV.
- Photographed all months of the 2015 and 2016 Belikin calendar in Belize.
- Staff photographer at the 1/2 million daily circulation Miami Herald newspaper from 1993-2001, covering everything from natural disasters in South America to the Elian Gonzalez saga in Miami.
- Produced still and video projects for clients including FremantleMedia, Embassy Row, EMI, and SONY Music.
- Images published in Rolling Stone, Time, Newsweek, People, Entertainment Weekly, Blender, Kerrang, USA Today, and The New York Times.
- Covered five Olympic Games, 11 Super Bowls, multiple World Series games, NBA playoffs, Stanley Cup Finals, and the Daytona 500.
- Charter member of Apple’s Aperture Advisory Board, member of the ThinkTankPhoto design board, AdoramaPix Ambassador, and Red River Pro.
- Public speaker and workshop leader for Apple, Canon, Nikon, Adorama Photo, Best Buy, and Columbia University.
- Attended Boston’s prestigious Berklee College of Music for music production and the University of Miami for photojournalism.
- Partial Client List: 30 Seconds to Mars, AEG, All Time Low, America Online, Atlantic Records, Avril Lavigne, Barenaked Ladies, Belikin Beer, Bon Jovi, Brendan James, Canon, CBS, CNET, Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood, D’Addario, Decca / Universal Music, Drew Carey, Elektra Records, Embassy Row, EMI, Epitaph Records, Evanescence, FremantleMedia, Gloria Estefan, Golf Magazine, Hanson, Island/Def Jam, Joss Stone, Kerrang!, MLB.com, MSNBC, My Chemical Romance, NBC, Nettwerk Music Group, Nikon, Primary Wave Records, Roadrunner Records, Select Records, Sonare Winds / Powell Flutes, Sony Music, Sports Illustrated, The Travel Channel, Ultrastar, Wind-Up Records, Yamaha Guitars.
Some of the topics covered include:
- How David got his break in the photography industry
- Starting out working for his college newspaper
- Working as a press photographer at the Miami Herald
- The importance of mentors and constructive critiques
- His surreal first meeting with the superpowers at Sports Illustrated
- Using his sports photography knowledge as a foot in the door to becoming Bon Jovi’s tour photographer
- A typical day on tour
- Working with some of the biggest A-list actors, musicians and athletes in the world
Great article on a day in the life as a tour photographer:
Adorama Tv: https://www.adorama.com/alc/series/two-minute-tips-with-david-bergman
Gigapan images: http://www.davidbergman.net/p/gigapan